On June 14th, 2012 a local young man by the name of Mr Saleh Uddin, with the support of close friends, decided to face a new challenge, which was to take the dormant building previously trading as the Double Dragon Chinese restaurant and turn it into the Chilli Tree restaurant.
"The name of the original Good Shepherd Mission hut at the foot of the Down is preserved in the church, which forms the upper storey of the Malet memorial hall at the corner of Belle Hill and London Road. It was erected by Lady Ermyntrude Malet in memory of her husband Sir Edward, the famous diplomat, who lived at Wrestwood, Hastings Road (Now St. Mary's School) and was one of the first men in Bexhill to own a motor car.
Lady Ermyntrude, a daughter of the 9th Duke of Bedford, was a cousin of the 8th Earl De La Warr and her husband was on the godfathers to the future 9th Earl. The church of the Good Shepherd was dedicated by Bishop Ridgeway in October 1913, and on the same day he opened Sidley church institute, the £600 cost of which had been met anonymously by a lady in appreciation of the church retreats, which in those days found much support among holiday makers in the town. "
(Page 64, The Story of Bexhill by L. J. Bartley 1971, published by F.J Parsons Ltd)